Premium Hood Insulation Kits
Now you can get the same high-performance materials used in today’s automobiles. This patented material is laboratory tested and OEM approved, by Ford, Chrysler, and GM.
The new SharkSkin Hood Insulation material is the newest standard for hood insulation. The original factory hood insulation in the 60’s & 70’s wasn’t great to start with, and most of the replacement pads are of lesser quality. Very flimsy, slags & tends to fall apart, and fray. Now most will provide some heat insulation, it will do very little to absorb engine noise, there is just not enough density to make a different. At most car shows I attend, I see a lot guys don’t even bother to replace the hood insulation after a restoration job because there is no alternative solution to the materials currently available for hood insulation. SharkSkin Hood Insulation will solve the problems.
Now it does not have an OEM look, if you have an original car SharkSkin may not work for you. The black scrim face will work in any engine compartment. Very nice ‘finished’ look to compliment all your hard work. SharkSkin is 2.5 times denser by weight than the ‘ repop‘ type insulation. This is GREAT heat insulation and will help to absorb engine compartment noise. It will not slag or fray. Our hood insulation is shipped flat, not folded & crushed.
Advantages / Benefits
- precut for easy installation
- absorbs engine compartment noise
- black scrim face adds a finished look to your engine compartment
- extremely light weight
- resistance to mildew
- insulates hood from high engine temperatures, preventing paint damage
- durable, stiff body will not sag, less fasteners needed
- available by the sheet for custom applications
- Thickness 5/8”
- Flammability SAE J369 self-extinguishing
- Temperature continuous 350 degrees F / intermittent 400 degrees F.
- GM SPECIFICATIONS GM2221M